Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Has Definitely Arrived

The first proper frost of the year this morning.

Over the weekend I put the tree ferns to bed for the winter. I was wondering where to get some straw from and suddenly realised that I could cut some of my grasses to do the job. The covering isn't as deep as last year but it looks like a neat cap << picture required >> and should do the trick of keeping the frost out.

A couple of weeks ago I imported a load of oak leaves and created a mulch over the heavy clay part of the garden and planted some more winter beans. Hopefully this will improve the soil in that part of the garden for next year. Also just read that oak leave mulch deters slugs! ;-)

B&Q had some fruit trees on offer so I planted a pairs of redcurrent, blackcurrent and gooseberry. I also bought a mini-plastic greeenhouse with the idea of capturing the warmth coming from the boiler vent. To make it work I'm going to need to build a stand as it's too dangerous to take a pipe from the vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment